Informational Resources


Establishing paternity is a way for parents to establish the man as the legal father and also have the father listed on the birth certificate. There are two ways you can legally establish paternity for your child if you are not married:

  1. You and the other parent can sign the Voluntary Establishment of Paternity by Parents form in a hospital or at the Department of Health. For information on voluntary paternity establishment, please call the Voluntary Establishment of Paternity Program: (888) 447-2160.
  2. You can file a paternity action in court, where a judge can order that the biological father is the legal father or open a paternity case to determine who the legal father is. This process can cost $140-$350. For more information, contact Family Court at (808) 539-4629.

Families also have the option of working with their local hospital to conduct paternity testing. The DNA samples are collected by the hospital and then sent to the mainland for analysis. This process usually takes about 2 weeks and costs $545. For more information, please call 1-800-362-2368.